Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Did you know sky watchers have observed meteor showers every August 11th, since A.D. 830? It is thought to originate in the constellation Perseus. Its peak arrives punctually every year so many consider this "The Night of the Shooting Stars". A wonderful night to have a star-gazing party! Here is a super salad to start it off! Adapted from Great Good Food by Julee Rosso.
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced (may also use orange or yellow peppers)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml toasted cumin seed, ground
- 1.23-2.46 ml cayenne
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 29.58 ml garlic, finely minced
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml cilantro, finely minced
- 118.29 ml fresh Italian parsley, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml kalamata olive (or Nicoise olives)
- Roast, broil, or poach the chicken breast. When it cools, bone and skin it and shred the meat into bite size pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, bell pepper, and onion. Chill, covered.
- Mix the cumin, cayenne, paprika, and garlic. Whisk in lemon juice, vinegar, broth, and olive oil.
- Stir in the cilantro, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and pour the vinaigrette over and toss. Garnish with olives. Enjoy!
Very good salad which we enjoyed for lunch with some bread. Made as directed, with the exception of the red wine vinegar, which I subbed with rice vinegar. Thanks for sharing!
So tasty and healthy not to mention easy, we thought this had a great balance of flavors and the cool bell pepper worked so well with the warmth of the spices. I made using red and yellow bell pepper, note to self can skip the parsley but do not skip the cilantro. Thanks for the post.
Incredibly flavourful - we were starving so I just threw everything together and we ate it right away, and it was so so good! Loved the strong cumin, the combo of garlic and cilantro, the tart lemon juice and vinegar, crispy bell pepper and onion, mild chicken... just a wonderful combination of flavours. Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow: I'm sure the salad will be even better after the flavours have had time to develop. Thank you for sharing!