Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favorite broccoli rice casserole...maybe it's because it's so darn creamy and cheesy I don't even notice the broccoli! :) Enjoy!
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, microwaved about 6 minutes to thaw
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 (5 ounce) can premium chunk chicken (I sometimes use 2 or the large can when I'm treating this as a one-dish meal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Saute onions and celery in butter until soft. Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Saute a minute or so to marry flavors.
- In a large bowl, combine soups, milk, rice, broccoli, onion/chicken mixture. Fold in 2 cups cheese.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese (I sometimes use more -- it's terrible, I know! ;).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes uncovered.
Great!!!!! I like that this broccoli casserole uses real cheese instead of the processed cheese whiz. It was a great way to use up some extra cheese that I had so mine had cheddar plus a little aged gruyere in there which was yummy!!! I also used real chicken instead of the canned because I had 3 chicken legs to use up which was the exact right amount to make 5 ounces! I used 16 ounces of broccoli instead of the ten and it all still fit into the 2 quart casserole dish. Love all the other veggies in this too and the soups and evaporated milk just make it great and creamy good!! I left out the salt because I always eliminate salt when I am cooking with canned soups (they have enough as it is!!) Thanks for posting!! Will make again!!
This is easy, cheesy and delicious. I used one cream of chicken and one cream of celery and made my own evaporated milk with Evaporated Milk. I also used a can of tuna in place of the chicken and fresh broccoli instead of frozen. Thanks for sharing!
This is my go to recipe for family gatherings. It gets rave reviews from everyone! Easy to make and oh so tastey!