1/1 Photo of Mom's Cabbage Rolls
My mom made the best Ukrainian cabbage rolls, simply filled with rice and bacon and cooked in a tomato sauce. This recipe is the closest I could find to hers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1With a large, sharp knife, cut out the core from the cabbage.
- 2Place the cabbage in a deep pot and pour boiling water into the core until the cabbage is completely covered.
- 3Let stand until the outer leaves can be separated, then parboil or steam the leaves just until soft and pliable.
- 4Continue with the remainder of the cabbage.
- 5In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add the rice.
- 6Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes; drain.
- 7Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until all the fat is drawn out.
- 8Add the onions; cook until lightly browned.
- 9Add to the cooked rice; season with salt to taste.
- 10Line a roasting pan with the outer cabbage leaves.
- 11Place a spoonful of the rice mixture onto each inner cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the ends, and place in the pan.
- 12If necessary, trim out the centre rib of the leaf to make rolling easier.
- 13Pour tomato juice over the cabbage rolls.
- 14Cover with more cabbage leaves.
- 15Cover and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.4
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 750.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 11.8 g