Recipe by Irmgard
My mom made the best Ukrainian cabbage rolls, simply filled with rice and bacon and cooked in a tomato sauce. This recipe is the closest I could find to hers.
Top Review by Shirl (J) 831
I was searching for a recipe for Cabbage Rolls, that would be "like" or close to the one's my mom made. After looking over several I decided to make Irmgard's because they were the closest I could find to my mom's. I was not let down at all. These took me down memory lane. Made them as is, NO changes (I do not like doing that). for me: A KEEPER.
- 1 cabbage
- 236.59 ml long-grain rice
- 340.19 g bacon, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 538.64 g can tomato juice
Directions See How It's Made
- With a large, sharp knife, cut out the core from the cabbage.
- Place the cabbage in a deep pot and pour boiling water into the core until the cabbage is completely covered.
- Let stand until the outer leaves can be separated, then parboil or steam the leaves just until soft and pliable.
- Continue with the remainder of the cabbage.
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add the rice.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until all the fat is drawn out.
- Add the onions; cook until lightly browned.
- Add to the cooked rice; season with salt to taste.
- Line a roasting pan with the outer cabbage leaves.
- Place a spoonful of the rice mixture onto each inner cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the ends, and place in the pan.
- If necessary, trim out the centre rib of the leaf to make rolling easier.
- Pour tomato juice over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with more cabbage leaves.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.