Mom's Cabbage Rolls
photo by Adams Momma
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
8 cabbage rolls
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 32 ounces v 8 vegetable juice
- Submerge cabbage into boiling water and cook for about 10 mins (or until soft).
- Remove and set into cold water.
- Rinse kraut, drain and spread into skillet.
- Mix chopped onion, beef, sausage, salt, rice, sage and tomato sauce well with hands in a large bowl.
- Roll meat mixture into small, fist-sized balls, lay inside cabbage leaves, roll them up and fasten them with toothpicks.
- Set cabbage rolls on top of the kraut.
- Pour V8 all over.
- Cover and cook for an hour at 250 degrees.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My Grandmother died when I was 17. At age 40, I still miss her a great deal. She was an incredible woman and an amazing "southern" cook. The taste of her biscuits and gravy, rolls, poundcakes, fudge and Thanksgiving dinners are burned into the memory of my tastebuds. (No wonder I'm such a big girl!) In my adult life and now that I have a family of my own, I am striving to fill her shoes in the kitchen. Her son (my father) wouldn't mind it, either! :)