Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I grew up with this recipe and now I make it for my family...my picky hubby and kids gobble it right up...and it can be made so quickly in the pressure cooker. To make an easy Beef soup, omit the potatoes, add more water and a few boullions and serve with egg noodles or rice.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rump roast
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, cut up
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 celery ribs, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 potatoes, cut into chunks
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water
- 1 -2 beef bouillon cube (optional)
- Cut the roast into chunks, about 1 inch (or larger if that is your preference). Heat oil in bottom of pressure cooker until hot and add the meat all at once (do not turn for at least 1 minute - you really want to let the meat sear - this gives the stew such yummy flavor.
- Stir the meat, letting it brown on all sides. Add the chopped garlic, stir for 1 minute, then add the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, salt, pepper, parsley, water and optional beef bouillon(the bouillon gives a stronger flavor - you can also wait to see how it comes out, and if you feel that it's not flavorful enough, you can add the beef bouillon and boil the stew for a minute or so).
- Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over high heat.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Cool pot immediately and serve. ENJOY!
- Optional ingredients - you can add some chopped tomatoes if you'd like before cooking, or after bringing it to pressure, you can throw in some canned mushrooms or frozen peas and heat thoroughly.
I chose this recipe because you just throw everything into the pot (instead of cooking the potatoes separately). I followed it exactly (except added mushrooms as well) and it turned out perfect! The stew was so flavorful and delicious.
I love my pressure cooker, always have. This recipe was perfect. the only change I made was salting and peppering the beef chunks before I braised them. Otherwise it was a perfect fit. They licked the pot clean and asked for more!!
We enjoyed this very much. Added a rue to thicken it up. A few spices would be a good idea. Very good base and easy to tweak to the families tastes. Thanks for sharing.