Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
We don't like cornbread per se, so I was looking around and found these today (12/19/06) .. I made them. Oh my gosh!! Moist isn't the word! The batter is VERY liquidy. They ARE almost like a spoon pudding.
- 2 cups plain cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter, Melted
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Grease two 12 muffin tins or line with liners.
- Put all dry ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
- Add buttermilk, mayonnaise, butter and shortening to dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add eggs and blend thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins and bake 10-12 minutes till lightly browned.
- Use toothpick to test for doneness.
- NOTE: I added 1 C shredded cheddar cheese on some and cinnamon sugar on some.
Delightful! Very moist. I did add a bit more salt than the recipe called for, & I made a half recipe. These make great dumplings for soup if made in a mini muffin tin. Thanks for the recipe!
I made these to with our dinner tonight and they are very moist, most recipes for Corn muffins I make are dry but this was perfect. Easy to throw together and doesn't take long at all to bake. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.
The batter was very runny. I baked it anyway and they did rise. Had a strange texture and bland flavor. We are used to a sweeter, more cakelike cornbread, but wanted to try this for a change. Maybe I did something wrong?