Sticky, chewy mochi Taiwanese/Japanese style. All you need is a microwave! Recipe can be multiplied, but I usually just make a small batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a bowl (I use a souffle-size bowl, around 2 cups) stir together the rice flour and sugar.
- 2While mixing with a spoon or small stiff spatula, pour in the boiling water.
- 3Stir in clockwise direction until the lumps disappear, and the batter is slightly elasticky, about 2 minutes (note: it will become difficult to stir, but try your best anyway!).
- 4Cover the container with plastic wrap, and microwave on HIGH for 2-4 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- 5Meanwhile, grease a ziploc bag well.
- 6Invert the bag (oil side out), and remove the mochi from the bowl into the bag (you can let it cool a bit before you do this, but the more you cool it, the harder the bowl will become to clean =/). Don't burn yourself!
- 7While the mochi is still warm, start kneading. To knead: Stretch and flatten the dough inside the bag with the palm of your hand, then pick up the bag at one corner, shake it so that it rolls into a ball again, then repeat. You can also knead it by placing the mochi into a greased bowl, and knead it as you would a normal dough. Knead for about 7~10 minutes, or to the consistency (chewiness) you want.
- 8To prepare the coating: Process the peanuts in a blender or food processor, and spread the powder out in a plate. Do not add sugar to the coating! Because the sugar will dissolve with the moisture in the mochi, making it super sticky.
- 9Pull off a teaspoonful-sized mochi ball with your hand, and coat in peanut powder. Alternatively, if you prepared it inside a bag, cut off a 1/4" corner, and squeeze from the bag. Separate the balls with greased scissors, or with chopsticks =P.
- 11Variations: Instead of using a coating, you could also wrap sweet red bean paste inside the mochi for daifukus =).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mochi
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.4
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g