Prep 3 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This is from Maida Heatter's Chocolate Desert Cookbook. Prep time includes freezing the crust and re-freezing after completion.
- 7 1⁄2 ounces Oreo cookies (21 cookie sandwiches)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet butter, melted
- 2 pints coffee ice cream (or any flavor you prefer)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 tablespoon water, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet butter, cut into bits
- Line 9 inch ovenproof glass pie plate with foil, covering the rim.
- Set aside.
- Break the cookies into pieces and in processor blend until crumbs are fine (you should have 1 3/4 cups).
- Mix with melted butter and press firmly into pan.
- Place in freezer for several hours or overnight.
- Soften ice cream slightly and carefully remove foil from bottom of frozen crust.
- Place crust on plate and fill with ice cream, mounding it higher in the center.
- Return to freezer until ice cream is very firm.
- Bring water corn syrup and butter to a boil.
- Add chocolate and remove from heat at once.
- Stir until chocolate is melted and mix is smooth Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the cool glaze over the frozen ice cream to cover the top completely- be careful not to let any run over the sides of the crust.
- If it is necessary to spread the glaze, do it quickly before it hardens.
- It will be very thin.
- When the glaze is frozen firm, the pie may be wrapped.
- airtight and frozen for a reasonable time.
- Serve as is or with sweet whipped cream flavored with liquor and/or toasted nuts.
- Also good with hot fudge sauce!