1 hr 30 mins
From Susan Feniger's Street Food. You can make the glaze and dipping sauce ahead of time or while the wings bake in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1133.98 g chicken wings, drumsticks and tips removed
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 29.58 ml spicy sesame oil
- 22.18 ml kosher salt
- 709.77-946.36 ml canola oil, for frying
- 354.88 ml korean miso barbecue glaze (see below)
- 236.59 ml ginger scallion dipping sauce (see below)
For Korean miso barbecue glaze
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 236.59 ml whole canned tomatoes, with juices
- 4.92 ml harissa
- 118.29 ml rice wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml kosher salt
- 59.14 ml sweet soy sauce
- 44.37 ml dark soy sauce
- 78.07 ml spicy korean miso
For ginger scallion dipping sauce
- 1For wings: Put the oven rack in the top third of the oven, and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine the chicken wings, scallions, ginger, sesame oil and salt. Toss gently until the wings are coated evenly with the scallions and ginger. Spread the wings out, skin side up, in a single layer on a nonstick cookie sheet.
- 3Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Then rotate the cookie sheet 180 degrees and bake for 15 minutes, or until the wings are starting to brown slightly and are cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes, until only slightly warm to the touch.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a deep saucepan set over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until you hear the oil start to crackle slightly and a deep-frying thermometer registers 350°F Do not let the oil smoke; that will mean the temperature is too high. Set a baking sheet lined with paper towels near the saucepan.
- 5Working with about 10 chicken wings at a time, carefully drop the wings into the oil and cook for about 6 minutes, until they are crispy and browned. While they are cooking, lightly stir the wings occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan or to one another. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon or strainer, and drop them onto the paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Let the oil reheat for 2 minutes before cooking the next batch of wings. Repeat the process until all of the chicken wings are cooked.
- 6If you have the miso glaze in advance, reheat it in a small saucepan for 3 to 4 minutes, until the sauce is warmed through.
- 7Transfer the miso glaze to a medium bowl, add the fried chicken wings, and toss thoroughly until the wings are well coated. Serve with ginger scallion dipping sauce.
- 8For Korean miso barbecue sauce: Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed stockpot set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to color. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, being careful not to let it brown. Add the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, harissa, rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and 2 cups water. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the ingredients do not sink to the bottom of the pot and burn. The liquid will reduce significantly.
- 9Reduce the heat to low and add the sweet soy sauce, dark soy sauce and Korean miso. Simmer for 5 minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- 10Puree the mixture in a blender until completely smooth. (You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender. To avoid burns when blending hot liquids, do not fill your blender more than halfway to the top, and always start by pulsing before turning the blender on high.).
- 11Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- 12For ginger scallion dipping sauce: Heat the oil in a small sauté pan set over low heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set us aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- 13Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, honey and scallions to the cooled mixture, and whisk to combine. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miso-Glazed Chicken Wings With a Ginger Scallion Dipping
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1886.6
- Calories from Fat 1533
- Total Fat 170.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 170.7 mg
- Sodium 3747.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 40.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
spicy sesame oil
rice wine vinegar
sweet soy sauce