Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mirliton Squash, also known as Chayote Squash, in a cream base with shrimp, yummy!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 1⁄4 lbs mirlitons (can use more, but no less)
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs peeled shrimp
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- Boil mirlitons until very tender, cool, peel, remove seed, and puree.
- Make a roux with margarine and flour, add onions and garlic. Add broth slowly and stir until smooth.
- Add other seasonings, salt to taste, and cook over medium heat, stirring.
- Add mirliton and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are tender.
- Add cream, and serve.
The soup base is OK, but it just is not quite right with shrimp. I'm thinking it could be very good with salmon. Hubby was not impressed. (It made a LOT of soup.) I put some of the soup base (before adding cream and straining out the shrimp) into the freezer for future use. I think I'll try it with salmon next time. I kept thinking that cilantro might be better than parsley, as I was eating. I also wanted a hint of lemon for the shrimp.
Got a great deal on mirlitons but didn't want to do the standard stuffed or a casserole. This soup was great! It didn't say why color roux to make so I made a judgment call and stopped it at a deep caramel colored. Perfect choice! Very good and will be making this again very soon.
Served this with Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone raved about it.