Mayocoba Beans Soup
photo by Potagekempcc
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 lb pepper bacon (Diced)
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika (Spanish)
- 4 cups red Spanish onions (Diced)
- 4 cups carrots (Diced)
- 4 cups celery (Diced)
- 2 cups yellow bell peppers (Diced)
- 3 serrano peppers (Minced)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons oregano (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons savory (Chopped)
- 1 cup cilantro (Chopped)
- 1 cup rioja wine (La Rioja Alta)
- 8 cups ham stock
- 2 lbs ham shank (Smoked)
- 1 lb mexican style beans (mayocoba beans, Soaked 2- hours)
- 4 cups red potatoes (Chopped)
- 4 roma tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 lb black forest ham (Diced)
- In a Dutch oven add bay leaves and pepper bacon. Cook over medium heat until bacon bits are crisp. Reserve bacon grease.
- Add 1-teaspoon Spanish Paprika, onions, carrots, celery and peppers. Season with 1-teaspoon salt 1-teaspoon pepper. Saute vegetables until tender 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, fresh herbs and saute 1-2 minutes. Add remaining Spanish Paprika and stir vegetables to combine.
- Add La Rioja Alta wine and reduce by half.
- Add ham stock, ham shanks, Mayocoba beans, red potatoes and 1/2 cup cilantro. Bring to a full boil and reduce to s simmer for 1 1/2-hours or until beans are cooked. 30-minutes before beans are cooked add diced Black Forest Ham.
- Remove soup from heat. Discard bay leaves and ham shanks. Remove any ham from shanks and add to soup.
- Season soup with fresh cracked black pepper and fine sea salt to taste. Serve soup in warm bowls.
- Garnish soup with Fresh Chopped Cilantro and fine diced Red Spanish Onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!