Sopranos' Escarole & Beans Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 lb escarole (about 1 medium head)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, ripe, chopped or 1 cup italian tomato, diced and peeled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth (or use water, I prefer chicken) or 4 cups beef broth, preferably homemade (or use water, I prefer chicken)
- 3 cups cannellini beans (cooked or canned, I prefer blackeye peas) or 3 cups great northern beans (cooked or canned, I prefer blackeye peas)
- 1 cup elbow macaroni (I omit this) or 1 cup pasta shells (I omit this)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese or 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Trim off the base of the escarole and discard any bruised leaves. Wash the leaves in several changes of cold water, paying special attention to the central ribs where soil tends to collect. Stack the leaves and cut crosswise into 1-inch strips.
- In a large pot, cook the garlic in the olive oil over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add the escarole, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the escarole is tender.
- Add the broth and beans; cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the elbows and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook 10 minutes more, or until the pasta is tender.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I'm very blessed with a daughter and 3 sons, all teens who don't hate me lol. I am passionate about my family, and being an Italian family makes us all foodies by nature! I love to cook just about anything that's rustic style, and I eat fairly naturally and vegetarian.