Irish Ham Stock
photo by Potagekempcc
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 3 lbs ham shanks (Bones)
- 3 lbs brown onions (Cut in wedges)
- 2 lbs carrots (Chopped)
- 6 celery ribs (Chopped)
- 2 lbs celery root (Chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 12 ounces Guinness stout (Black Lager)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch sage
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 6 juniper berries
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Place ham bones, vegetables and Guinness in a 12-quart stock pot. Cover bones with cold water. Bring to a full boil for 10-minutes and reduce to a simmer.
- Wrap garlic, bay leaves, fresh herbs, peppercorns and cloves in cheese cloth. Tie-off with string and add Sachet to stock pot.
- Simmer stock 5-6 hours uncovered, skimming the stock every 30-minutes.
- Remove bones and strain using a fine-mesh sieve. Cool Ham Stock with a ice bath and refrigerate. The stock will keep for 1-2 days.
- Chef Note: Ham Stock can be frozen for 2 months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!