Easiest Ham Stock
photo by Coraniaid
- Ready In:
- 13hrs 30mins
- Cook ham & use meat for meals for ~ a week.
- Take remaining ham & cut most of it off the bone, leaving some to cook with the stock.
- To a large pot add ham bone, 3 stalks of celery washed & snapped in half, 2 onions, skin on, chopped in half, & 5 quarts of water (or enough to cover ham bone).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, let simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone, celery, & onion from stock. Discard celery & onion.
- Pick meat off of ham bone & set aside. Discard bone.
- Put meat back into stock & put into refrigerator to allow fat to congeal on the surface.
- Once fat is solid on the surface, remove & discard it.
- Reheat stock.
- Sterilize 5 quart jars & heat lids/bands.
- Prepare pressure canner.
- Once jars are sterilized, fill with stock (& remaining ham bits), leaving 1" headspace.
- Clean jar rims & apply tops & bands.
- Place in pressure canner & apply pressure canner lid.
- Heat until a steady stream of steam has been produced for 10 minutes.
- Place jiggler on top at 10 lbs. & once it starts rocking back & forth allow cans to cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove canner from heat & let cool until pressure vent falls.
- Remove jiggler.
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Remove lid & take jars from canner.
- Set on a clean, dry, flat surface & allow to cool for 24 hours.
- Remove bands, wipe jars down, and put away.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY