Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living, 1993.
Make and share this Mint Julep Brownies recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- fresh mint leaves, garnish
- Combine chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale (about 2 minutes); gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add chocolate mixture, flour, and next 3 ingredients; beat at low speed 1 minute.
- Spoon into a lightly greased and floured 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar; cut into bars.
- Garnish, if desired.
Yum! Clear five stars, these are soo good! I halved the sugar - personal preference - and the bourbon and mint flavour both come out, neither of them overpowering, very subtle, but oh so good! I used gluten free flour (1/3 brown rice flour, 1/3 millet flour, 1/3 cornstarch) but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. Thanks for sharing this winner!