1/2 Photos of Mini Meatball Minestrone
This soup is absolutely delicious! A family favorite, my 4 year old son calls it "Meaty Meatball Yummy Soup". It's packed with healthy veggies, which you can vary according to your family's taste. Don't let the long ingredient list fool you - it is simple and quick to prepare with ingredients you usually have on hand. You can substitute fresh vegetables for the canned; I created this in winter when I had more canned and frozen items on hand than fresh. Leave the meatballs out if you are short on time or want to skip the meat. You can also make the meatballs in advance and freeze them to add later. We like to serve this with a fresh green salad and good multi grain bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or a mix of Parmesan and Romano)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups tomato juice or 2 cups vegetable juice
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta, such as elbows
- 1To prepare the meatballs:
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and roll into 1/2 inch meatballs.
- 4Place on a cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes or until brown.
- 5To prepare soup (while meatballs are cooking):.
- 6Heat oil in a large stockpot. Saute the onions until softened and lightly brown, about 4 minutes.
- 7Add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer.
- 8Add stock, juice, green beans, carrots, kidney beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- 9Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer on medium low for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Add meatballs.
- 11Add pasta, cover pot, and cook about 10 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Meatball Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.5
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 591.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 14.2 g