1/1 Photo of Milchreis (German Rice Pudding)
This is a typical German recipe for Rice Pudding. For this recipe, you don't want to substitute brown rice as it won't get creamy. It is typical to sprinkle a cinnamon and sugar on top of each serving, though some prefer to add fruit, with cherries a popular choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the rice, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Stir in the milk and cream, and add the whole piece of vanilla bean. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer the rice for 30 minutes, or until soft and milk/cream mixture becomes thick. Stir often.
- 3Scratch out vanilla seeds and stir into pudding. Discard vanilla bean pod.
- 4Serve warm with cinnamon and sugar or fruit compote, or both.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milchreis (German Rice Pudding)
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.0
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 91.9 mg
- Sodium 186.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: