6 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is just Scrumptous, I found it searching on line. I start the recipe on the stove top and then throw it into a Crock Pot on low for 8 hours. A few extra steps but well worth the extra work. Food.com is not letting add the Fava Beans as a canned ingredient, so here it is 2 14.5 ounce cans Fava Beans. Great over steamed Quinoa.I also use jarred Harissa, but will post with a Harissa Paste recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth, can use chicken broth
- 4 cups fava beans, cooked
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped (optional)
- 1Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large pot.
- 2Add onions and garlic.
- 3Cook slowly over low heat until onions are transparent about 10 minutes.
- 4Push onions and garlic to the side and add anchovies to the pot.
- 5Cook anchovies until they soften, mashing them as they soften.
- 6Add in to the onion/garlic mixture.
- 7Add butternut squash, carrots, bell pepper, frozen peas and a pinch of salt.
- 8Stir and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- 9Pour in the stock.
- 10Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute.
- 11Stir in the drained FAVA beans, diced tomatoes, drained, tomato paste, bay leaf and Harissa paste.
- 12Add brown sugar and pomegranate molasses.
- 13Stir and bring back to a simmer.
- 14Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 hours or pour into crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Fava Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.9
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: