Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is just Scrumptous, I found it searching on line. I start the recipe on the stove top and then throw it into a Crock Pot on low for 8 hours. A few extra steps but well worth the extra work. Food.com is not letting add the Fava Beans as a canned ingredient, so here it is 2 14.5 ounce cans Fava Beans. Great over steamed Quinoa.I also use jarred Harissa, but will post with a Harissa Paste recipe.
- 6 tablespoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth, can use chicken broth
- 4 cups fava beans, cooked
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mint, chopped (optional)
- Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large pot.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cook slowly over low heat until onions are transparent about 10 minutes.
- Push onions and garlic to the side and add anchovies to the pot.
- Cook anchovies until they soften, mashing them as they soften.
- Add in to the onion/garlic mixture.
- Add butternut squash, carrots, bell pepper, frozen peas and a pinch of salt.
- Stir and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the drained FAVA beans, diced tomatoes, drained, tomato paste, bay leaf and Harissa paste.
- Add brown sugar and pomegranate molasses.
- Stir and bring back to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 hours or pour into crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.