Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from the Food Network Kitchens, this is a great chicken burger with exotic Middle Eastern flavors! Try it!
Top Review by marcoandrita
WOW if you want flavors dancing taste this recipe. The only thing I changed was adding a small dice carrot with the onion. I used a mixture of spicy brown and honey mustard with a touch of the molasses before adding cheese to melt on top. Moist and wonderful.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (Vidalia is good)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons molasses, for brushing (or use pomegranate molasses, or try a spicy honey mustard)
To go with burgers
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the onion, cinnamon, coriander, and pepper flakes to the skillet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onions are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and parsley and cook about 1 minute more.
- Move to a big bowl and let cool a little.
- Stir in the chicken and yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 1/2" round patties.
- Cook in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until nicely browned and cooked, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Brush burgers with the molasses and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns with mayonnaise(if using), tomato, cucumber, onion, lettuce and cilantro(if using). Enjoy!