Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
This is my Mom's shortcut to the yummy caramels she makes at Christmas. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- In large microwaveable bowl, but not plastic (this gets VERY hot), melt the butter for about 1 1/2 minutes on high.
- Blend in the sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup of the heavy cream.
- Heat on high for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the mixture reaches firm ball stage (244 to 248°F).
- Gradually blend in the remaining cream.
- Cook another 10 to 15 minutes on high, or until firm ball stage is achieved again.
- Pour into greased Pyrex baking dish and allow to cool 3 hours.
- Cut into squares and wrap each individual piece in waxed paper.