Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the absolute hands down favorite soup in our family. Don't let the recipe fool you- it is easy to make. Even easier if you make btaches of the meatballs ahead and keep on hand in the freezer!
- 2 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 20 1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain rice, divided
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup potato, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2⁄3 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine tortilla strips and oil; toss well to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until crisp and brown, stirring once. Set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup rice, ground beef, and next 5 ingredients (beef through pepper) in a bowl; shape mixture into 24 (1-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan; bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; saute 4 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add salsa, water, and broth; bring to a boil. Add 1/4 cup rice and meatballs; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and meatballs are done. Stir in corn; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/2 cups soup, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 5 tortilla strips).