Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake is great after a spicy New Mexican meal. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
Make and share this Mexican Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
For the cake
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 oranges, zest of, only
- 4 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, unblanced, toasted and ground
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
For the glaze
- 10 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup candied orange peel, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Spray a 8-inch (or 9-inch) cake pan with cooking spray (Pam) and flour and paper pan.
- Combine cinnamon, orange zest, grated chocolate, and ground almonds in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar, and then stir in orange juice. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg whites to soft peaks while gradually adding the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Stir egg yolk mixture and orange juice into the chocolate/almond mixture. Fold in half of the beaten egg whites, blending well and then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spread mixture in prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until done (when cake starts to pull away from pan). Let cake cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
- To make chocolate glaze: place chocolates (bittersweet and unsweetened), 1/2 cp of the butter, corn syrup and water in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until melted. Remove from heat and stir inthe remaining butter (1/4 cup). The glaze is ready to pour of spread on cake when it is warm and is about as thick as syrup.
- Place cake on dish and pour glaze over cake, tilting to coat evenly. Decorate with candied orange peel if desired.
Can I give more than 5 stars please ? This is a rich and luscious cake that is totally addictive . I made it for DD's birthday cake and it was a great success.
I made this cake using semi-sweet chocolate instead of the bittersweet as that is all I had, and also I used semi-sweet for the glaze which seemed to work fine as both the cake and the glaze were delicious, also I omitted the candied orange peel. Thanks Ellie!...Kitten:)