1 hr 25 mins
This cake is great after a spicy New Mexican meal. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 oranges, zest of, only
- 4 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, unblanced, toasted and ground
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
For the glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- 2Spray a 8-inch (or 9-inch) cake pan with cooking spray (Pam) and flour and paper pan.
- 3Combine cinnamon, orange zest, grated chocolate, and ground almonds in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- 4In a seperate bowl beat egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar, and then stir in orange juice. Set aside.
- 5In another bowl beat egg whites to soft peaks while gradually adding the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- 6Stir egg yolk mixture and orange juice into the chocolate/almond mixture. Fold in half of the beaten egg whites, blending well and then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- 7Spread mixture in prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until done (when cake starts to pull away from pan). Let cake cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
- 8To make chocolate glaze: place chocolates (bittersweet and unsweetened), 1/2 cp of the butter, corn syrup and water in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until melted. Remove from heat and stir inthe remaining butter (1/4 cup). The glaze is ready to pour of spread on cake when it is warm and is about as thick as syrup.
- 9Place cake on dish and pour glaze over cake, tilting to coat evenly. Decorate with candied orange peel if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3222.0
- Calories from Fat 2408
- Total Fat 267.6 g
- Saturated Fat 102.0 g
- Cholesterol 1212.0 mg
- Sodium 1965.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 164.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.1 g
- Sugars 119.3 g
- Protein 72.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of