Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 bundt pan
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use Mexican for authenticity!)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee, at room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Generously grease and flour pans (see description above).
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Place the butter and sugars in mixer bowl, fitted with paddle if possible, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down sides of bowl before each addition.
- Add half the flour mixture and beat well, then add the milk, coffee and vanilla.
- Scrape down sides and add remaining flour mixture. Beat well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Transfer to oven and bake until cake pulls away from the sides, and tester comes out NOT QUITE clean, about 50-55 minutes for bundt pan, 45 minutes for 9x5, and 40 minutes for 8x4's. These times are not exact -- they may take up to 15 minutes longer!
- Cool for 20 minutes in pan, then invert on rack. Cool to room temperature.
Join The Conversation
Forgive me if my review comes up several times... Whoops! I'm frightfully low tech, as young as I am. Bwahaha!!! Okay. I made it again... and, wouldn't you know it? I forgot 1/2 cup of the flour. T_T This might have been a happy accident though. Last time I made it it took long to cook, but it ended up dry. This time, it also took long to cook... but the crumb was light (Deceptively light... like a blimp masquerading as a pigeon...) and moist. Holy cow! Yeah, this is now officially a favorite. Thank you from the bottom of our Corazones Mexicanos!
Probably a 5 without my substitution. I didn't have a pound of butter. No applesauce either. Used 1 cup spreadable fruit (strawberry) instead. The texture and everything is fabulous, but the strawberry flavor is a little off-putting, especially for teen-aged boys. Next time - use all butter. 70 minutes at 360 in a bundt pan. ***Second time - made as written. Perfect.***