Mexican Chocolate Cake
photo by A Good Thing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans (71/2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Make cake:.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F Butter cake pan well and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
- Melt butter (2 sticks) in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in cocoa. Add water and whisk until smooth, then remove from heat. Whisk in separately sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl, then sift again into cocoa mixture and whisk until just combined (don't worry if there are lumps).
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out with a few crumbs adhering, 45 to 55 minutes. (Leave oven on.)
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 20 minutes, then loosen edges with a thin knife and invert onto a plate.
- Make glaze:.
- Spread pecans in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan (1 inch deep) and bake until fragrant and a shade darker, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool pecans slightly in pan on a rack, about 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, then stir in half-and-half and confectioners sugar. Add chocolate and cook, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and salt. Cool glaze until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon glaze over top and sides of cake (cake will still be warm) and spread with a small offset spatula or knife to cover completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a very delicious cake! I made 18 cupcakes from this but for some reason they stuck so I could only get about half the cupcake out! Well now I know for the future to grease them a little bit more or use a homemade mix. Well it worked out alright as my family just ate the bottoms out of the pan :D Made for ZWT5 Zingo, Dining Daredevils.
Very good cake! I like the cinnamon in it though I did add a slight bit more and I also added a 1/4 tsp of chili powder. For the glaze, since I didn't have pecans or bittersweet chocolate, I mixed about a cup of confect. sugar and 4 heaping Tbsp. of cocoa powder, I then added some lime juice, zest and a little milk until I got the consistency I wanted. I also spooned some cajeta over the top of the cake after I was done frosting and some lime zest. Tasted great! Thank you for posting this recipe! Made for ZWT5
I am not a baker so I am always nervous when I bake a cake. I have to say, this was so easy to make! The instructions are so clear! I followed the recipe as written but had to leave the almonds out of the glaze because my family does not care for them. The cinnamon was just the right amount. Just a hint of taste. Very lovely presentation. I will make this again. Especially when I want to impress someone! Made for ZWT 5.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi, I'm Debbie and currently we live in North Carolina! I have been married to my Best Friend, Colin for 17 years. I'm currently a SAHM to 3 wonderful children, their ages are 15yrs, 11yrs and 7yrs old!! I'm hoping to go back to school to become a pastry chef! I changed my chef name recently, I was debee939701. I Love to Bake and go crazy at Christmas!! (What can I say it's my favorite time of the year!)My friends,neighbors and family don't complain though! I have a degree in photography and I have (according to my DH) way too many cookbooks! I'm addicted to this website! I check the new recipes out daily! Right now my favorite is Rachel Ray! <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Other/tagforpage1.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/participation%20banners/coolmonday-particiation2.jpg" border="0" alt="Cookathon for Cool Monday (2)"> <img src="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> Thank you, Sweetslady! :) <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/lauralie41/cookbookswapspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> Thanks Susiehomemaker! I Loved Everything!!! <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/pt-shutterbug-banner-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/totmtaggame-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">