Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious polenta recipe from Feeding the Whole Family. To make this recipe fun for kids, serve the bean-vegetable part in a bowl and cut some strips of polenta to use as dippers.
- 1 cup dried pinto bean, soaked
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell peppers or 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped zucchini or 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup organic tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or butter)
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese (optional)
- Beans: Drain soaking water off the beans and place beans in a large pot with garlic, cumin and 3 c water. Bring to boil, then simmer over low heat, covered, for 50-60 minutes. Or pressure-cook in 2 c of water for 45 minutes.
- Vegetables: Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, salt and garlic; saute until soft.
- Add pepper, zucchini, cumin and oregano and saute 5 more minutes.
- Add cooked beans to the vegetables with tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water. Check taste and add salt if needed.
- Polenta: In separate pot, bring 3 c water to a boil. Add salt an boil. Slowly add polenta, stirring continuously with a whisk. Lower heat and continue stirring in clockwise motion with a wooden spoon for 10-15 minutes or until mixture can hold the spoon upright on its own.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a lightly oiled casserole dish, spread the bean & vegetable mixture across the bottom. Spread the polenta on top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes at 350. Remove coer and bake 5 minutes more at 400.
I'm only giving 4 stars because I changed up for not having all the ingredients. I used 15 oz can black beans, rinsed; 2 cups zucchini and 1/2 cup crooked neck squash, switched Thyme for oregano and didn't put tomato sauce and used 1 lb of ground chuck. Everything else was done the same and it was delicious!!!