Spicy Black Bean & Corn Tortilla Soup
- Ready In:
8 bowls or more
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red or chocolate bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 6 small tomatillos, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen tex-mex mixed vegetables (corn, black beans, onions, & peppers, or equivalent)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black & red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces monterrey jack & colby cheese (shredded)
- 4 ounces sour cream (for garnish)
- tortilla chips (for garnish)
- avocado, slices (for garnish)
- 4 ounces pico de gallo (for garnish)
- Saute' onion, garlic, & chopped peppers in oil until translucent.
- Add: chicken or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans & corn, vegetable blend, lime juice, tomatillas, and seasonings.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes, then thicken with 3-4 tablespoons cornstarch (add cornstarch to a small amount of cool water until dissolved, then stir into pot). If soup seems too concentrated, you may add water.
- Simmer at a low boil for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo and avocado slices for garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking when I have the time! Soups are my favorite meals to prepare & to eat; baking & decorating are my true passion.