Recipe by Courtly
A yummy holiday treat! From a brand name baking magazine.
Top Review by Seedbeads
We love these brownies! This is the second year in a row I've made them. I use 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in place of the nuts, since I can't have them. I also like to add a little cherry extract to the cream cheese mixture. This year I also had to use half Splenda in the brownies since I didn't have quite enough sugar. They still turned out great, so I might try all Splenda next time.
Cherry-Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup drained chopped red maraschino cherry
- 1 tablespoon red maraschino cherry juice
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of 13 x 9 inch pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, beat all filling ingredients with spoon until smooth; set aside.
- In 2 quart saucepan, melted chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth; remove from heat. Cool 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat chocolate mixture, 2 cups sugar, the vanilla and 4 eggs with mixer on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour and salt on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed 1 minute. Stir in nuts.
- Spread half of batter in pan. Spread filling over batter. Carefully spread remaining batter over filling. Gently swirl through batters with knife for marbled design.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. FOr brownies, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.