Chocolate Cherry Merlot Brownies
photo by ncmysteryshopper
- Ready In:
- 6 ounces pkg. dried sweet cherries (1 1/4 cups, chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup merlot
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, baking bar (53% Cacao, broken into small sections)
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease 9-inch-square baking pan.
- Microwave dried cherries and merlot wine in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute.
- Set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain cherries; discard wine.
- Microwave chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR.
- Sections may retain some of their original shape.
- If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth; cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour and salt in small bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in medium mixer bowl until well mixed.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour mixture until blended.
- Stir in drained cherries.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 33 to 37 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
- NOTE: Sweetened dried cranberries can be substituted for the dried cherries.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
For me, these were just okay... the batter had a great texture, but the brownies themselves weren't all that chocolatey (amazingly), nor could I detect the presence of the merlot. I did like the addition of the cherries, though. And I was really amused when the bar of baking chocolate that I bought to make these brownies turned out to have this very recipe on the back!
see 2 more reviews