These are a lovely appetizer or snack, but they're so good (and good for you) that I inevitably have more and make a delicious, vegetarian meal of it!
Sensational Yogurt Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup Greek yogurt or 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons water (a little more may be necessary)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (or cilantro or dill or spearmint or a harmonious combination of any of these fresh herbs)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs zucchini, coarsely-grated with skin on
- 1 large purple onion, finely-minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely-minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, packed minced (or cilantro or dill or spearmint or a harmonious combination of any of these fresh herbs)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- flour, for dredging
- oil, to shallow fry (I prefer olive oil)
- For Sensational Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a mini-processor and whiz to combine. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to suit your taste. Thin with a little more water, if necessary. The sauce should be made first to allow flavours to blend and mingle and cool in the refrigerator. (can be made up to 2 days ahead).
- For Zucchini Fritters: Lightly salt the grated zucchini and put in a colander to drain excess water for ½ an hour to 45 minutes. Squeeze out excess water by pressing on handfuls of zucchini at the end of this time.
- Wilt the onion and garlic in the 1 tblsp olive oil, in a small saucepan, for 4-5 minutes, or until translucent and softened.
- Combine all the fritter ingredients in a large bowl to make a uniform mixture (this includes the zucchini and wilted onion mixture). Season to suit your taste with salt and pepper (careful – the feta cheese will already be quite salty, and there will also be salt in the zucchini from the initial draining). The mixture will be soft and sticky.
- Take a generous tablespoonful of the dough and form (delicately) into a patty. Dredge in flour. Repeat, using up all zucchini mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet, over medium-high heat, and shallow-fry patties until they are golden brown. Flip over and repeat on other side. Remove as they are fried to paper towels to drain while you continue with remaining patties in the same manner, topping up oil, if necessary.
- Serve the patties with the dipping sauce and enjoy!