Lentil Walnut Burgers With Yogurt Sauce
photo by kmergirl
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted cooled
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup lentils, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a food processor, combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until finely ground. Add lentils and 1 tablespoon oil; pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should remain whole).
- In a large bowl, whisk egg. Add lentil mixture; mix well. Divide into 4 equal-size parts; roll into balls, and flatten with the palm of your hand into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add burgers; cook over medium-low heat until crisp and browned, turning gently with a thin-edged spatula, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, cilantro, and lemon; season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble burgers and top with yogurt sauce, sliced red tomatoes and lettuce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Mmmm totally delicious and so flavorful. I forgot about the red pepper flakes, just as well I think. The method mentioned 1.5tsp salt but I added just shy of 1tsp. I used one egg white instead of a whole egg. I also threw in half a small onion into the food processor with the rest of the ingredients, and added 2-3T of chopped cilantro.