Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
DH and I made this recipe last night. It is from the Once Again Brand of products listed in an ad in the Vegetarian Times. I was really glad we tried this recipe. We really enjoyed it. Do use a nice store bought or homemade tzatziki sauce on top of the burgers as they benefit from the added moisture. While the ingredient list looks long, most go right into a food processor and it does not take long to prep at all.
- 2 (15 ounce) canslow sodium garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped kalamata olive
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, breadcrumbs, egg, spinach, onions, cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, coriander, and salt in the food processor. Pulse until the garbanzo beans are mostly smooth. DO NOT over-process--a few chunks are fine.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl and fold in the roasted red peppers, feta, and olives.
- Spray a cookie sheet well with pan spray. Shape the mix into 6 equally sized patties, flattening slightly, and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the burgers in the oven for 20 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the burgers and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve on a toasted burger bun with lettuce, tomato and tzatziki sauce if desired.