1/1 Photo of Mediterranean Pot Roast
2 hrs 30 mins
This roast is cooked in a Dutch oven on top of the stove, the sauce is wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or white salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4 lb) chuck roast
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dryed chili flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry red wine (can use more than 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large zucchini, chopped into about 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 lb button mushroom
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1Mix the flour with seasoning salt and pepper, then lightly coat the roast in the flour (reserve any remaining flour).
- 2In a Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 3Add in the roast and brown on all sides (this should take about 15 minutes).
- 4Remove the roast to a plate and add in onions, garlic, chili flakes (if using) and thyme; saute until the onions begin to brown (about 5 minutes).
- 5Add in the reserved flour mixture and stir until the fat absorbs the flour.
- 6Add in crushed tomatoes, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf; bring to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- 7Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- 8Reduce the heat to low or medium low and simmer for about 2 hours (turning the roast occasionally, if you are simmering on low heat then you might have to cook the roast longer).
- 9When the roast has cooked for the 2 hours, add in potatoes, bell peppers, and whole mushrooms.
- 10Cover and simmer for another 30-35 minutes.
- 11Add in zucchini and cook the last 10 minutes.
- 12Stir in the chopped fresh parsley just before serving.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (679 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1153.2
- Calories from Fat 622
- Total Fat 69.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 208.6 mg
- Sodium 558.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 64.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: