Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This roast is cooked in a Dutch oven on top of the stove, the sauce is wonderful!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4 lb) chuck roast
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dryed chili flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry red wine (can use more than 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large zucchini, chopped into about 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Mix the flour with seasoning salt and pepper, then lightly coat the roast in the flour (reserve any remaining flour).
- In a Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the roast and brown on all sides (this should take about 15 minutes).
- Remove the roast to a plate and add in onions, garlic, chili flakes (if using) and thyme; saute until the onions begin to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the reserved flour mixture and stir until the fat absorbs the flour.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, red wine, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf; bring to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low or medium low and simmer for about 2 hours (turning the roast occasionally, if you are simmering on low heat then you might have to cook the roast longer).
- When the roast has cooked for the 2 hours, add in potatoes, bell peppers, and whole mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer for another 30-35 minutes.
- Add in zucchini and cook the last 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped fresh parsley just before serving.
Five stars plus for an amazing one pot meal. Had to omit the shrooms to keep hubby happy, used fresh thyme rather than dried, and since there were no small reds in the house I quartered the larger red potatoes and cooked on a very low heat for about 4 hours till the meat was fork tender. I especially enjoyed the addition of zucchini and red pepper. Made for ZWT5.