Dutch Oven New England Pot Roast
photo by Charlotte J
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 4 lbs top round roast
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped large size
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef base
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 8 small white potatoes, cut in half
- 8 medium carrots, cut in fourths
- 8 small onions, cut in half if bigger
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup flower in a jar, and set aside.
- In a Dutch Oven with a little oil. brown beef on all sides. (can use Bacon fat for more flavor).
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Add water, Wine, Beef Base, Celery, and Thyme to pot. (you can substitude 1 cup of Beef Stock for water, if you do not have Beef base).
- Bring to boil, cover, and put in 325 oven. for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add vegetables and cook for another 1 hour. (Note: 3 1/2 hours total cooking time. You can adjust cooking times by lowering oven to 300 degrees. I would not rasie them to speed up).
- Remove beef and vegetables from pot. Add enough water to bring liquid to two cups total. Bring to a boil and slowly add flour and water mixture, stirring until thickened. Add seasonings if needed.
- Slice roast against the grain and pile on warm plates.
- Serve the gravey and vegetables on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!