Recipe by El Bistro
I didnt really like meatloaf...until many many experiments in the kitchen gave me this recipe. Thanks and enjoy this unusual yet wonderful creation.
Top Review by Mplsgoodwife
I have been making this recipe for probably 8+ years. I follow the recipe exactly every time & everytime get an absolutely delicious moist meatloaf! Normally I dip my meatloaf in ketchup but not this one- it's moist enough on its own!!! I have made this for several people & they all rave about how good it is.i consider myself a very good cook & normally when making meals look to several different recipes & then come up with my own version. Not with meatloaf- I follow this recipe to a tee because why mess with perfection.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion
- 4 green onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 sprig parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups V8 vegetable juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice and saute onion, green onion (including most of the green parts)and celery.
- When your saute is transparent, add the garlic. (I usually slice mine with a cheese grater).
- Continue until onions are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Finely chop parsley.
- Breifly soak bread in water.
- Add bread, egg, and all other ingredients to the meat in a large bowl; knead together.
- Add small amounts of the V8 until it is gone or the consistency feels right to you. It should be well bound, but with a good amount of moisture to it.
- Mold the meat into buttered loaf pan.
- Turn the mold over onto a flat baking sheet, letting it fall down onto the pan to get the meat back out if necessary.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Why sour cream? Its added moisture (fat not grease)you will lose from all of the nasty grease/fat you will see hanging off the sides of the loaf when it is done. Why bread? Still used as a binder, but without all of the moisture loss of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs. Why V8? 8 wonderful veggies in a tomato liquid, I have found it is perfect for this meatloaf.