Basic Meatloaf (Southern Style)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
1 meat loaf
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled (I like twice as much fresh herbs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled (I like twice as much fresh herbs)
- 3 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (topping) or 1/2 cup ketchup (topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix ground beef, salt, pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, milk, Worcestershire, onion, thyme, and rosemary. (I whisk dried ingredients and pour over hamburger and fold together lightly, first. Then I add wet ingredients and incorporate together really well. I usually add less milk or add extra bread crumbs to preferred consistency).
- Pack into a lightly greased loaf pan or form into a loaf and place on a lightly greased baking sheet with sides, such as a jelly roll pan. (I form into a loaf in a 9 X 13 pyrex baking dish).
- Top meatloaf with sliced bacon, or your choice of ketchup or barbecue sauce.
- Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours, or till 170 to 180 degrees.
- Dianna suggests serving meatloaf with heated tomato sauce or gravy. (I suggest serving with garlic mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables for a comfort style meal).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!