Recipe by Shawn C
As served at Charleston's 82 Queen Restaurant. this recipe comes from the printed version as posted in The Taste of Charleston Restaurant recipes published in 2004. although the website for 82 queen now has a different version which adds more may and bread crumbs. but did not increase the amounts of crab meat thus yielding more crab cakes without as much crab meat in them. use which version suits your tastes. I prefer their originally shared recipe with more crab than filler.
Top Review by severnsuppers
Loved this. I added 1 Tablespoon of horseradish to the crab cake mixture along with 1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard. In the pepper sauce, I added a few drops of tabasco and a little garlic. I used the olive oil option for cooking. Everyone loved them! I will definately use this recipe again.
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
sweet pepper sauce
- 4 large sweet peppers (red preferred)
- 3 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3 large shallots
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine crabcake ingredients thoroughly, then form into desired cake.
- size (about 4 oz).
- prepare breading by making egg wash of 2 eggs and 1/4 cup of Half & HALF Half.
- Dip crab Cakes in egg mixture, then roll in more BREAD Crumbs.
- Sauté in butter or olive oil until golden brown.
- to make the sauce Seed and dice red pepper (medium dice).
- Peel and chop shallots.
- Sauté pepper and shallots together.
- Add ½ CUP water.
- Simmer 20. minutes or until peppers are soft completely through.
- Using a high-speed blender, place peppers and shallots and all remaining ingredients (EXCEPT CILANTRO) in a bowl, blending until smooth and then run through a medium strainer.
- Add cilantro and set aside at room temperature.
- serve sauce along side crab cakes.