Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I enjoy sharing this dish with guests. It is based on a recipe from Beatrice A. Ojakangas' book, The Finnish Cookbook.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Cook the potatoes. When done cooking, drain the water and mash them in the pot. Transfer them to a mixing bowl.
- Whip in the eggs, cream or milk, salt to taste, and 4 tablespoon butter; beat until very fluffy.
- Turn into a buttered 1-quart casserole and sprinkle with the bread crumbs. Dot with remaining two tablespoons butter.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 degrees farenheit) for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
So simple to make, light, fluffy and wonderful. Great recipe. I will definitely make it again. I took one of the reviewers suggestions and added a couple cloves of crushed garlic and some thyme. Yummy addition! Thanks!!
Reviewed for Aus-NZ Forum Recipe Swap Jan 2011- Delicious and enjoyed by all of my family. To be gluten-free I used a fine gf cornflake crumb in place of the regular breadcrumbs. Perfect! Photo also be posted
My dh & I enjoyed this potato casserole recipe. It was quick and easy to make, using ingredients always on hand. We thought it was a perfect side for recipe #274202, which we served it with. The potatoes were light and fluffy, with a crunchy top. I used cream and italian spiced breadcrumbs. Thanks for sharing this recipe, that i will make again.