Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy hors d'oeuvres (if you're not concerned about cholesterol!)
Make and share this Marinated Prawns (Shrimp) and Mussels recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -4 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons tex-mex hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (I used green Tabasco, or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons recaito or 1 teaspoon cilantro leaf (coriander leaf)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or more, to taste)
- 2 lbs raw large/extra large prawns, peeled,and deveined
- 2 lbs live mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Do not cook prawns and mussels ahead of time and do not use pre-cooked prawns.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients, except prawns, mussels, scallions, and lemon slices in blender or food processor.
- Place the marinade in a bowl large enough to hold all the shellfish, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Steam the prawns just until the flesh has turned from a translucent white to a solid white.
- This should take approximately 12 to 15 minutes for extra large prawns.
- Keep a close eye on them and do not overcook.
- As soon as the prawns are cooked, drain them and place them in the marinade, making sure they are all covered.
- Steam the mussels just until the shells open.
- Discard any unopened shells.
- Remove mussels from their shells and place them in the marinade.
- Add chopped scallions to the marinade and stir very gently.
- Float the sliced lemon on top.
- Allow the shellfish to marinate, in the fridge, for at least 5 hours (preferably longer).
- Pick the prawns and mussels out of the marinade with toothpicks or cocktail forks.
- Serve with Ritz or similar crackers, if desired, and enjoy!