Yummy hors d'oeuvres (if you're not concerned about cholesterol!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons tex-mex hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (I used green Tabasco, or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons recaito or 1 teaspoon cilantro leaf (coriander leaf)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or more, to taste)
- 2 lbs raw large/extra large prawns, peeled,and deveined
- 2 lbs live mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1Do not cook prawns and mussels ahead of time and do not use pre-cooked prawns.
- 2Thoroughly mix all ingredients, except prawns, mussels, scallions, and lemon slices in blender or food processor.
- 3Place the marinade in a bowl large enough to hold all the shellfish, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 4Steam the prawns just until the flesh has turned from a translucent white to a solid white.
- 5This should take approximately 12 to 15 minutes for extra large prawns.
- 6Keep a close eye on them and do not overcook.
- 7As soon as the prawns are cooked, drain them and place them in the marinade, making sure they are all covered.
- 8Steam the mussels just until the shells open.
- 9Discard any unopened shells.
- 10Remove mussels from their shells and place them in the marinade.
- 11Add chopped scallions to the marinade and stir very gently.
- 12Float the sliced lemon on top.
- 13Allow the shellfish to marinate, in the fridge, for at least 5 hours (preferably longer).
- 14Pick the prawns and mussels out of the marinade with toothpicks or cocktail forks.
- 15Serve with Ritz or similar crackers, if desired, and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marinated Prawns (Shrimp) and Mussels
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.6
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 116.4 mg
- Sodium 808.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning