Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
While making another cucumber recipe, I started playing around and ended up with this. I served it with Chicken satay and sticky rice and it was a hit :)
- 2 large English seedless cucumbers, thinly sliced (3 medium)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (or birdseye pepper)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white sugar
- fresh lime juice, a squeeze
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Let sit in fridge for at least 2 hrs, preferrably overnight before eating.
I made a half recipe of this but on tasting, decided it needed more sugar ( so I doubled it back to the original amount) and a tablespoon of fish sauce to give it that sweet, sour, hot, and salty balance that is so important in Thai food. I used rice wine vinegar, palm sugar and a little firecracker of a Thai red chilli in this too. Thanks for posting a delicious, easy to make condiment