Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from Womack House, a long ago country kitchen in Fulshear, TX. It tastes like summer!
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped of fresh mint (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss well to mix.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
My dad used to make this. My husband would eat himself SICK on this. I've been looking for a similar recipe and this seems to be it. My dad would save the marinade and just continue to add the veggies to it. It just got better and better. This year I have my own cukes and tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe. I don't have my dad anymore to consult, so I appreciate the help.<br/>Linda
MY HUSBAND RONNIE JUST LOVES CUCUMBERS!!!! Sometimes I tell him, "your love for cucumbers ... that aint right ... " this dish is so good though it got me stumblin lookin for the leftovers in the fridge! next time my sister comes to visit i'm going to make it for her, might even raise her eyebrows. give this dish 2 cucumbers! a lil ranch would make it even better
Family loved this recipe! We had it last night with 4th of July Grilled Salmon (recipe # 125897.) My hubby doesn't like cukes, so I made it with zucchini instead. Tasted just as good as when I made it with the cukes. What a wonderful, low cal, low cholesterol meal for a hot Summer day.