Recipe by Ranikabani
I was looking for a marinade sauce for roast chicken and combined a few to come up with this version. If you don't want to use fresh tomatoes and onions, you can substitute 1/4 c. tomato juice and 1/2 tsp. onion powder. If you don't have beef or chicken consume, then use chicken or beef base powder/cubes (you'll have to play with the amount until it suits your taste. I thicken it with cornstarch mixed with water, but you can use flour instead. You can also substitute lemon juice for lime juice, or fresh garlic for garlic powder. I'm just giving a basic recipe but you can use any combination of ingredients to suit your taste. For this recipe, I just brush on a bit of the sauce on the chicken and put it in the oven . The point I'd like to make though, is that you should set aside a bit of the sauce in a bowl first. Use this to brush the raw chicken (I don't use the sauce from this bowl again, esp as the chicken nears the end of the required cooking time. I always pour a little into a clean bowl and brush it on, wash the bowl well, and repeat these steps every time I go to brush more sauce on the chicken.
- 1 medium tomatoes, the seeds and pulp and juice scooped out and mashed down
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients except for the cornstarch and water.
- Cook on high heat until it comes to a boil and then turn the heat down and cover.
- Boil for 5-10 min or until the tomatoes and onions are tender.
- In a bowl mix cornstarch with water until it's completely dissolved.
- Add to the sauce and let it boil for a couple of minutes until it thickens.
- Take off the heat.
- Brush on raw chicken and keep brushing every 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked.