Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Attention Atkins fans and diabetics! Tired of paying top-dollar for small bottles of low-carb, sugar-free, pancake syrups that don't really taste very good anyway? Here's a syrup my DH really likes! Thicken more if you like! Prefer an orange syrup? Feel free to substitute other extracts for the maple and vanilla extract!
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular (not packets)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 -1 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water.
- Stir to dissolve cornstarch and make a slurry.
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Stirring constantly with a whisk, add the cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil.
- Boil 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Bottle and refrigerate.
- NOTE: If you like your syrup thicker, increase cornstarch to 5-6 teaspoons.
- Remember that it thickens more as it cools, so don't over-thicken.
You can use Arrow Root in place of cornstarch to make it low carb. People need to relax about the cornstarch being in it. If you are a low carb fan like myself -- you would have know about the substitution. It looks like a great recipe and I will come back to comment on it when I make it.
This recipe easy to make, and taste very good. My family really rave about this.
Sorry. We tried this and had to throw the batch out. We have been on Atkins for a month and would just rather pay for his expensive syrup.