Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Chef At Home, Food Network.
Make and share this Mango and Strawberry Cobbler recipe from Food.com.
- The Filling : Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place fruit into a large bowl and toss well with the flour, sugar and lemon juice.
- Pour into a 2-quart ovenproof casserole or other dish.
- It is best if the fruit fills the dish but doesn't rise above the edges.
- The Topping: Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Grate in frozen butter and mix lightly with fingertips.
- Pour in milk and stir until mixture comes together and forms a rough dough.
- Place spoonfuls of the dough on top of the fruit evenly covering it.
- Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Flour should NOT have been in the base mix. It was absolutely inedible! It left a floury taste and mushed up the fruit so it tasted like floury fruity paste. I recommend ppl using the fruit base, with some lemon juice on top and then make a basic crumble topping (like for apple crisp). Whatever you do, don't add the flour to the base!
This did not work for me at all and I'm not sure why. I used frozen fruit and followed the directions exactly, but the filling was mostly tasteless and the topping baked into hard, nearly inedible crumbles. Not at all what I was expecting and I probably won't give it another try, sorry.
Found this on the Food Network web site. This time I added blueberries and dried cherries to the fruit mixture (last time I added peaches to the strawberries and mango). I also added 1 TBL corn starch to the flour sugar mixture that I use to toss the fruit. I changed the cornmeal to oats, and changed the white sugar to brown. Mixed the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in the food processor then added the butter and pulsed until incorporated. Poured this into the same bowl I'd used for the flour/sugar mixture above and then added the oats, then after mixing those in added the milk. This serves so many more than 4! I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan and take it to potlucks (it is REQUESTED for potlucks!)