Recipe by Boomette
From Chef At Home, Food Network.
Top Review by Baking Bunny
Flour should NOT have been in the base mix. It was absolutely inedible! It left a floury taste and mushed up the fruit so it tasted like floury fruity paste. I recommend ppl using the fruit base, with some lemon juice on top and then make a basic crumble topping (like for apple crisp). Whatever you do, don't add the flour to the base!
- 2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups mangoes, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- The Filling : Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place fruit into a large bowl and toss well with the flour, sugar and lemon juice.
- Pour into a 2-quart ovenproof casserole or other dish.
- It is best if the fruit fills the dish but doesn't rise above the edges.
- The Topping: Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Grate in frozen butter and mix lightly with fingertips.
- Pour in milk and stir until mixture comes together and forms a rough dough.
- Place spoonfuls of the dough on top of the fruit evenly covering it.
- Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.