1/5 Photos of Manaquis Bil-Za'tar -- Thyme Bread (Lebanon -- Middle East)
1 hr 20 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe combo was found more or less intact in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include time needed for dough to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water, divided
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1FOR THE DOUGH: In a small container stir together yeast & 1/4 cup warm water, then set asde for 5-10 minutes.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour & salt, then make a well in the center & pour in the oil.
- 3Work in the oil with your fingertips until completely absorbed, then add the yeast water & knead with your hands for several minutes.
- 4Gradually add another 1/4 cup warm water & knead until dough is smooth & elastic, then form into a ball, cover with a damp cloth & leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 5FOR THE TOPPING: In a skillet over medium heat, combine thyme, sumac & sesame seeds, stirring continuously until the aroma rises & the mixture is slightly toasted. Salt to taste & set aside to cool slightly.
- 6In a small bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients.
- 7Divide the dough into 4 equal portions & roll each into a ball.
- 8Dip the first ball of dough in flour on all sides, then shake off the excess before rolling it into a thin disk about 1/8-inch thick.
- 9Make a few dimples across the flat dough, pressing hard with the tips of your fingers (done to stop oil in the topping from running out during cooking), then spread a quarter of the topping over the disk of dough.
- 10Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat & cook the dough in the skillet, topping side up, for 3-5 minutes or until bottom is crisp & lightly golden.
- 11Repeat the procedure to make the rest of the breads.
- 12Serve hot or warm, either plain or with some yogurt or . . .
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Manaquis Bil-Za'tar -- Thyme Bread (Lebanon -- Middle East)
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.6
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 622.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: