Polpettone -- Vegetable Loaf (Italy)
This vegetarian recipe was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 lbs green beans, thin, topped and tailed
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 4 tablespoons dried mushrooms (soaked in tepid water, drained, finely chopped)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a steamer, cook beans until al dente, about 10-12 minutes; spread to dry on a kitchen cloth before finely chopping them.
- In a large skillet over medium-high temperature, heat the oil and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Add garlic and marjoram and saute for another minute or so before adding the beans.
- Saute beans 2 or 3 minutes; transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Add mushrooms, both cheeses, potatoes and eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 10-inch round baking dish with a little olive oil.
- Sprinkle half of the breadcrumbs over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread the vegetable mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Level the top and decorate with a few shallow geometric incisions.
- Dot all over with butter; drizzle with a little olive oil; sprinkle the rest of the breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until the loaf has set but is still moist inside. Serve warm or at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION