Fassuliah K'dra -- Beans With Saffron (Morocco - North Africa)
This recipe was found in the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food. Preparation time does not include the time for the beans to soak.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried cannellini beans (soaked overnight in plenty of water with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda)
- 1 pinch saffron thread (a generous pinch, crushed)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly slices
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Drain the beans & rinse well, then place them in a large saucepan.
- Add the 1 generous pinch of saffron threads (crushed) & 1 1/2 quarts water, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add butter, then reduce heat to low & simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, parsley & pepper & cook for another 30 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally to make sure beans are not sticking.
- Just before beans are ready, add salt to taste.
- If sauce is too thick, add a little water, but if it's too thin, increase the heat to high & boil until thickened, stirring regularly so that the beans don't stick.
- Taste & adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 3 more