1/3 Photos of Manapua
3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
Manapua are a wonderful snack food popular in Hawaii. I found this recipe in a travel magazine a few years ago. You can substitute Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) for the sausage if you'd like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 packages dry yeast (not rapid yeast)
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 cups flour
- 4 cups Chinese sausage, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1Dough: Mix dry ingredients together (including yeast).
- 2Add oil and water and mix well.
- 3Knead dough until smooth (about 10 minutes).
- 4Place in a large bowl; cover with a clean damp cloth and leave in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours.
- 5Filling: Mix together sherry, oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, sugar and cornstarch until free of lumps.
- 6Heat 1 T oil in a wok or pan over medium heat, add sausage and saute for 1 minute.
- 7Add vegetables and cook until crisp tender.
- 8Add liquid mixture and cook until thickened slightly.
- 9Cool before using.
- 10Divide manapua dough into 24 balls.
- 11Slightly flatten each ball, then roll out to 4-inch disks, leaving the center of the circle twice as thick as the sides.
- 12Place 1 T of filling in the center of the dough.
- 13Gather up the sides around the filling and twist dough to seal.
- 14Place with twisted side down on a 2-inch square piece of wax paper.
- 15Put buns 2 inches apart in a steamer and allow to rise for another hour.
- 16Steam for 15 minutes.
- 17If you prefer to bake the manapua, preheat oven to 350°.
- 18Set the buns 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- 19Brush with a mixture of 1 beaten egg, water and 1/4 tsp sugar.
- 20Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Nutritional Facts for Manapua
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.4
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 326.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: