- Ready In:
- 5hrs 20mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons solid shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned ham, chopped
- 1 link Chinese sausage, chopped (called lup chong)
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a custard cup, sprinkle the dry yeast over the 3 tablespoons of warm water and let stand until the yeast is softened.
- In a small saucepan, heat 11/2 cups water, solid shortening, salt and sugar. Stir until melted. Cool.
- Combine the softened yeast and shortening mixture in a large bowl.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time mixing well after each addition. Knead until dough is stiff. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down and knead again.
- Cut into 2 inch balls and stuff with filling, making sure that there is no opening for the filling to fall out.
- Place on a small square of waxed paper (about 3" X 3"). Let rise for 11/2 to 2 hours.
- Steam until done, about 15 - 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- Pan fry ham, lup chong, bamboo shoots and mushrooms.
- Add oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce and red food coloring.
- Cook until the mixture absorbs the sauce.
- Add green onions before turning off the flame.
- Cool before stuffing into the buns.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Debbie and I live in a small town called Cisten in Texas, As you can tell by my user name, I'm a proud mom of a Texas Aggie,