Recipe by NoSpringChicken
This must be the ultimate "comfort" food! Try the Mexican style cheese with some cumin and chili powder, too. Although I can't recall where the recipe came from, I've been using is quite successfully for many years.
- 1 1⁄4 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 cups milk (I use reconstituted dry milk)
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes or shredded
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven, add celery, carrots and onion; cook for 4-5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Add milk, cheese and bouillon.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cheese melts; add pepper.
- Stir cornstarch mixture; add to milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add corn and peas, bring back to a boil.
- lower heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add macaroni; cook over low heat until heated through.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary.