This must be the ultimate "comfort" food! Try the Mexican style cheese with some cumin and chili powder, too. Although I can't recall where the recipe came from, I've been using is quite successfully for many years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 cups milk (I use reconstituted dry milk)
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes or shredded
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- 2Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Melt butter in Dutch oven, add celery, carrots and onion; cook for 4-5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- 5Add milk, cheese and bouillon.
- 6Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cheese melts; add pepper.
- 7Stir cornstarch mixture; add to milk mixture.
- 8Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- 9Add corn and peas, bring back to a boil.
- 10lower heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- 11Add macaroni; cook over low heat until heated through.
- 12Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.5
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 114.2 mg
- Sodium 1330.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 24.9 g