Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This must be the ultimate "comfort" food! Try the Mexican style cheese with some cumin and chili powder, too. Although I can't recall where the recipe came from, I've been using is quite successfully for many years.
- 1 1⁄4 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 cups milk (I use reconstituted dry milk)
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes or shredded
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven, add celery, carrots and onion; cook for 4-5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Add milk, cheese and bouillon.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cheese melts; add pepper.
- Stir cornstarch mixture; add to milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add corn and peas, bring back to a boil.
- lower heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add macaroni; cook over low heat until heated through.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary.