Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Luby's Cafeteria and is one of their specialty. It is a "Most Requested Recipe" in answer to a request for this pie. The times are an estimate only, and without making the pie shells. NOTE: The amount of cornstarch is correct. After speaking with Luby's Customer Support, she suggested that you justs whisk longer to make a glaze.
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 4 pints strawberries
- 2 9-inch baked pie crusts
- sweetened whipped cream
- For glaze, in medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of the water, sugar, and gelatin.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, gradually mix remaining 1 cup water into cornstarch until smooth.
- Add to saucepan, whisking constantly with a wire whisk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and fairly clear. (I suggest stirring constantly).
- Stir in food color.
- Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature cool.
- Do not refrigerate.
- For pies, spread 1/4 cup glaze onto bottom of each pie shell.
- In large bowl, combine strawberries and 2 cups of the glaze.
- Mix gently to coat evenly.
- Spoon half the mixture into each pie shell, arranging berries attractively.
- Spoon half the remaining glaze of each pie, smoothing and sealing glaze to edge of crust with spoon.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Top with whipped cream.